|Seksjon for lingvistiske fag|
Position Professor of Computational Linguistics, Bergen University
Position Docent of Computational Linguistics, Lund University
Contact You can email me or phone me: 555-822 62
Date of birth May 26, 1965, in Malmö Sweden.
CV: Click here [pdf]
- (1999-2001) Post doc: Japanese Science and Technology Agency Fellowship (STA). Host Researcher: Hasida, Koiti. ElectroTechnical Laboratories. Tsukuba, Japan.
- 1998 Post doc: at Rijksuniversiteit Groningen. Employed by NWO: Nederlandse Institut voor Wetenschaplijk Onderzoek (the Dutch institute of Scientific Research). Host Researcher: Dr. Laurie Ann Stowe. Project: The Neurological Basis of Language.
- 1997: Ph.D. thesis. "A View from Language — growth of language in individuals and populations."
- Post graduate studies at UCSD 1992-93 (Cognitive Science) and Lund University (Computational Linguistics) 1993-1996. Worked at the university of Tromsø 1996-1997.
- Statistical Language Processing
- Language Acquisition and Change
- Memory and Language Processing
Project leader for BREDT, a research project within the KUNSTI (knowledge development for Norwegian language technology) framework sponsored by the Research Council of Norway (NFR). BREDT finished in 2005. The project webpage is at BREDT , where you will find a demonstrator, some software for analogical modeling, and a demonstrator for anaphora resolution (including a graphical editor, and a possibility to store edited results).
Selected Recent Publications
Johansson, C. 1997. A View from Language, In the series Traveaux de L'Institut de Linguistique de Lund, XXXIV, Lund, Sweden: Lund University Press, Bromley: England: Chartwell-Bratt Ltd. (189 pages).
Refereed International Journals
Refereed International Conferences
- Johansson, C. 1997, Connecting Swedish Verb Forms, Nordic Journal of Linguistics, 20(1), pp. 3-30.
- Johansson, C. 1999. Learning what cannot be by failing expectations. Nordic Journal of Linguistics, 22, pp. 61-76.
Edited Book Chapters
- Johansson, C. 1999. Noise-resistance in processing center-embedded clauses: a Question of representation? In Proceedings of the 2nd Int. Conf. on Cognitive Science, and the Japanese Cognitive Science Society, Waseda University, Tokyo. pp. 253-258.
- Johansson, C. 2000. A Context Sensitive Maximum Likelihood Approach to Chunking, In Proceedings of CoNLL, Lisbon, Portugal, September 13-14, pp.136-138. http://lcg-www.uia.ac.be/conll2000/ps/13638joh.ps
Works in Progress
- Johansson, C. 2001. Emergence of language structure and learnability. In Gábor Györi, (Ed.) Language Evolution: Biological, Linguistic and Philosophical Perspectives. Peter Lang Verlag, Frankfurt am Main.
- Johansson, C. 2002. The Hope for Analogical Categories. in Analogical Modeling: An Exemplar-Based Approach to Language, eds. Royal Skousen, Deryle Lonsdale, and Dilworth B. Parkinson. Amsterdam, John Benjamins.
- Johansson, C. 2003. How is Grammatical Gender Processed? In Tanja Gaustad (Ed.): Computational Linguistics in the Netherlands 2002, in the series Language and Computers: Studies in Practical Linguistics, 47, Rodopi, Amsterdam - New York. (pp. 65-76)
- Johansson, C. 2003. A Memory Based Method for Inventing Features. In Bjørnar Tessem, Pekka Ala-Siuru, Patrick Doherty, and Brian Mayoh (Eds.), proceedings of the Eighth Scandinavian Conference on Artificial Intelligence (SCAI03), in the series Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications, IOS Press, Amsterdam. (pp.107-118)
- Johansson, C. 2003. Searching for Features Using a Genetic Algorithm. In Bjørnar Tessem, Pekka Ala-Siuru, Patrick Doherty, and Brian Mayoh (Eds.), proceedings of the Eighth Scandinavian Conference on Artificial Intelligence (SCAI03), in the series Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications, IOS Press, Amsterdam. (pp.119-130)
- Johansson, C. and von Koss Torkildsen, J. C. 2005. Reaktionstider för genuskongruens: hur processeras genus? In S. Lie, Nedrelid, G., and Omdal, H. (Eds.), Møte om Norsk Språk 2003, 10, Kristiansand:Høyskoleforlaget.
- Johansson, C. and Nøklestad, A. 2005. Detecting Reference Chains in Norwegian. Proceedings of the 15th NoDaLiDa Conference, University of Joensuu electronic publications in linguistics and language technology, Finland.
- Johansson, C. and Johnsen, L. 2005. An Analytical Relation between Analogical Modeling and Memory Based Learning. Proceedings of the 15th NoDaLiDa Conference, University of Joensuu electronic publications in linguistics and language technology, Finland.
- Johansson, C. and Johnsen, L. 2006. Analogical Modeling with Bias - allowing Feedback and Centering, In Research in Computation Science, Vol 18, Advances in Natural Language Processing (Ed.) Alexander Gelbukh, Instituto Politécnico Nacional Centro de Investigación en Computación, México. pp. 57-70.
- Johnsen, L. and Johansson, C. 2005. Efficient Modeling of Analogy, In Proceedings of the 6th Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics, Mexico City, Mexico. in the series Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol 3406, Springer Verlag. Berlin. pp. 681-690.
- Nøklestad, A., Reigem, Ø. and Johansson, C. 2006. Developing a re-usable web-demonstrator for automatic anaphora resolution with support for manual editing of coreference chains. Proceedings of LREC. Genoa, Italy.
A Selection of Invited Presentations
- Johansson, C. & Stowe, L.A. Lexical Categorization from Exemplars. (short) (long)
2005-spring: Guest Lecturer. Course: Language and Cognition. Invited by prof. Mila Vulchanova. NTNU, Trondheim.
2005-01-13..14: Guest Lecturer. Ph.D. Winter School, NTNU, Trondheim. Three lectures on statistical methods.
2004-autumn: Guest Lecturer. Course: Language and Communication. Invited by prof. Mila Vulchanova. NTNU, Trondheim.
2004-04-27: Invited Guest Lecturer. Lexical Semantics and Experimental Methods. Invited by prof. Mila Vulchanova. NTNU, Trondheim.
2004-04-22: Invited Guest Lecturer. Communication and Dialogue. Invited by associate professors Fang Chen, and Morten Fjeld, Department of Human Computer Interaction, Chalmers, Gothenburg, Sweden.
2004-04-22: Invited Guest Lecturer. Higher Seminar in Cognition. Theme: Discourse. Invited by associate professors Olof Torkelson, Fang Chen, and Morten Fjeld, Department of Human Computer Interaction, Chalmers, Gothenburg, Sweden.
2004-04-22: Invited Guest Lecturer. Research Seminar in Human Computer Interaction. Theme: Dialogue. Invited by associate professor Morten Fjeld, Department of Human Computer Interaction, Chalmers, Gothenburg, Sweden.
2004-01-09: (co-author Janne Cecilie von Koss Torkildsen). The impact of semantic properties on reactions to gender. Talk at Scandinavian Conference on Linguistics. Workshop on the Necessity of Experimental Methods in Semantics. Helsinki, Finland.
2003-12-19: (with Lars G. Johnsen). An efficient implementation of Skousens Analogy Model. Talk at CLIN (Computational Linguistics in the Netherlands), Antwerp, Belgium.
2003-10-01..03: Invited seminar series at NTNU, Trondheim. 1. Connectionism and Modeling, 2. Neural Nets (backprop), 3. Other types of Neural Nets and Statistical Methods. Invited by prof. Torbjørn Nordgård, NTNU
2002-05-02: Talk at the Edinburgh Linguistic Circle. Invited by prof. Caroline Heycock. Title of my talk: Analogy in gender (dis)agreement.http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/discussion/lcircle/
2002-05-01: Invited as Honorary Northern Scholar of the Year,. Public Talk at University of Edinburgh, Scotland. Nominated by prof. James Hurford. Title of my talk: The Brain and Language Evolution.
Updated February 28th 2006.