Reidar K. Lie
Mag.art. (Philosophy), University of Bergen, 1982
M.D., University of Bergen 1983
Ph.D. (Philosophy), University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, 1987
Born November 26, 1954
University of Bergen, Mag.art. (Philosophy), September 1982.
University of Bergen, M.D. June 1983.
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Department of Philosophy. Ph.D. July 1987.
Assistant professor, Department of Medical Humanities, School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, 1987 - 1989
Director, Center for Medical Ethics, University of Oslo 1989 - 1995
Professor of Medical Ethics, University of Oslo, 1992 - 1995
Professor of Philosophy, University of Bergen, 1995 -
Ph.D. STUDENTS SUPERVISED
Per Nortvedt: Sensitive Judgment. Nursing, Moral Philosophy and an Ethics of Care, University of Oslo 1996
Per Sandberg: University of Trondheim, 1996. Genetic Information and Life Insurance: A proposal for an Ethical European Policy.
Lars Fjell Hansson: Autonomy and paternalism in health promotion, University of Oslo, 1997
Ole Frithjof Norheim, M.D.: Limiting access to health care: A contractualist approach to fair rationing. University of Oslo, 1998
Hans Magnus Solli, M.D.: An ethical analysis of the use of medical knowledge in welfare politics. Norwegian social welfare as a case. Current.
Banson Barugahare. Ethical issues in clinical trial collaborations with developing countries. Current
Sanga Intajak. Human rights, equity and health sector reform: A Thai perspective
Jon Vegar Hugaas. Buddhist and Christian perspectives on euthanasia
INTERNATIONAL M.Phil. STUDENTS SUPERVISED
Varuni de Silva, M.D., Sri Lanka: Ethical issues in the physician patient relationship. A questionnaire study. Current.
Nicholas Eseko, M.D., Tanzania. Analysis of maternal and perinatal care systems in Tanzania and assessment of the actual situation in Arusha region. M.Phil. 1998
Rafiqul Islam, M.D. Bangladesh. Health systems research in Bangladesh. M.Phil. June 1999
MAJOR RESEARCH PROJECTS
Director of a 5 year research and competence building project in Medical Ethics, funded by the Norwegian Research Council, 1989-1994. A total of 7 Ph.D. students were associated with this project, 4 of whom have successfully defended their dissertations as of January 1997 (the first five listed above in addition to two others).
ETHICA - Ethics and Health: An International and Comparative Arena. Core project is a collaboration between the University of Colombo, Sri Lanka and the University of Bergen, Norway in ethics and health policy. Funded from 1996-1999. Co-director.
SEAHEN - South East Asian Health Ethics Network. Consultant on a WHO-SEARO region project with the aim of creating a network in the region as well as initiating research projects. Funded from 1997 - 1998.
EUROPEAN ETHICS NETWORK - EU funded Socrates project with the aim of producing European textbooks in applied ethics as well as prepare a European Mastersprogram in ethics. Co-coordinator of the Bioethics part of this project. Funded from 1997 - 1999
EURO ELSAV - BIOMED project on ethical, legal and social issues in vaccine development, coordintated from Rome. Responsible for a sub-project on ethical issues in international collaborative vaccine trials within this general project. Funded from 1998 - 2000
HUMAN RIGHTS, EQUITY AND HEALTH SECTOR REFORM. TDR/WHO funded project involving three countries, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Thailand. Funded 1998-1999
CTC-ETHICS - Ethical issues in clinical trial collaborations with developing countries. EU funded, 2000-2002.
1. Lie R. Acceptance and rejection of hypotheses in medical science. (Mag. art. thesis). Filosofisk Institutts stensilserie, Bergen, 1982. Advisor: Professor Gunnar Skirbekk
2. Lie R. Theory change in cardiovascular research (Ph.D. dissertation). University of Minnesota, 1987 Advisor: Professor Philip Kitcher
A. Publications in international scientific journals
1. Saetersdal T, Jodalen H, Lie R, Rotevatn S, Engedal, H, Myklebust R. Effects of isoproterenol on the dense core and perigranular membranes of atrial specific granules. Cell Tissue Res 1979; 199: 213-224.
2. Saetersdal T, Engedal H, Lie R, Myklebust R. On the origin of Z-band material and myofilaments in myoblasts from the human atrial wall. Cell Tissue Res 1980; 207: 21-29.
3. Lie R, Jodalen H, Rotevatn S. Accumulation of myocardial lipid droplets in dexamethasone treated mice. Cell Tissue Res 1981; 216: 661-663.
4. Jodalen H, Lie R, Rotevatn S. Effect of isoproterenol on lipid accumulation in myocardial cells. Res Exp Med (Berl) 1982; 181: 239-244.
5. Rotevatn S, Jodalen H, Lie R. Propranolol induced lipid accumulation and mitochondrial granularity of myocardial cells. Cardiovascular Research 1983; 17: 290-293.
6. Lie R. The use of interval estimators as a basis for decision making in medicine. Theoretical Medicine 1984; 5: 233-240.
7. Kaisen A, Kjetsa G A, Lie R K, Hjetland R, Haaland P T, Moller P, Oulie H E, Tveit T, Maeland J G. Interns' evaluation of their preparation for general practice: A comparison between the University of Tromso and the University of Bergen. Medical Education 1984; 18: 349-354.
8. Lie R. An examination and critique of Harsanyi's version of utilitarianism. Theory and Decision 1986; 21: 65-83
9. Lie R. The 'border zone controversy' - a study of theory structure in biomedicine. Theoretical Medicine 1986; 7:243-258
10. J. Schaefer, R. K. Lie, T Kenner, M Franz, K F Schaffner, D. Burkhoff, K Sagawa, D. T. Yue. Letter to the editor: A place for theoretical cardiology? Basic Research in Cardiology 1987; 82: 317-318
11. K. Sagawa, R. Lie, J. Schaefer. Introduction to and translation of O. Frank: Die Grundform des arteriellen Pulses. J Mol Cell Cardiol 1990: 22; 253 - 277.
12. Lie R. Patterns of theory change in biomedicine: A case study from cardiology. Synthese 1991;89:75-88
13. Lie R. The angina pectoris controversy during the 1920s Acta Physiologica Scandinavica 1991, S599, 129-141
14. de Cuzzani P, Lie R. The importance of epistemology for clinical practice. Theoretical Medicine 1991: 12: 87-90
15. Brody B, Lie RK. Methodological and conceptual issues in health system comparisons: Canada, Norway and the United States. Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 1993:18:437-463
16. Brody B, Lie RK. Response to Poullier. Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 1993;18:475-476
17. Lie RK. Experimental treatment, rationing and values. Social Science and Medicine 1994;39:1011-1014
18. Fonseca OQ, Lie RK. Informed consent to preventive AIDS vaccine trials in Brazil: a pilot study. AIDS and Public Policy Journal 1995;10:22-26
19. Lie R. K. Medisinsk etikk, Foucault og homoseksualitet. Lambda Nordica 1997;3(4):41-49
20. Lie R. K. Ethics of the physician-patient relationship. Ethical Perspectives 1998
21. Lie R.K. The perinatal HIV transmission studies. Bioethics 1998:12:307-311
22. Jayasinghe S, de Silva D, Mendis N, Lie RK. Ethics of resource allocation in developing countries: the case of Sri Lanka. Social Science and Medicine 1998: 47:1171-1180
23. Fonseca OQ, Lie RK. Comprehension of informed consent form and general knowledge of vaccines among potential participants for an HIV vaccine trial in Brazil. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Medicine 1999:13:233-260
24. Lie RK. Ethical issues in international collaboration in vaccine trials. Archives of clinical bioethics 1999:2:15-18
B. Other original publications
1. Hjetland R, Haaland P T, Kaisen A, Kjetså G A, Lie R K, Møller P, Oulie H, Tveit T, Mæland J G. Turnuskandidaters syn på medisinerutdanningen. En undersøkelse blant nyutdannede kandidater fra Tromsø og Bergen. Tidsskrift for den norske laegeforening 1983; 103: 936-939 (Norwegian version of no 7 above).
2. Lie R. En kritikk av Ronald Dworkin's argument mot en utilitarisme uten restriksjoner. Norsk Filosofisk Tidsskrift 1988; 23: 213-222.
3. Lie R. Homoeopati - vitenskap eller pseudovitenskap? In L. Gule, H. Laugerud (ed), Vitenskap og verdensbilder. Ariadne Press, 1989: pp. 260-279.
4. Lie R. Anmerkungen zur Analyse des Fortschrittsbegriffes in den experimentellen biomedizinischen Wissenschaften: Eine Fallstudie aus der kardio-vaskulären Physiologie. In: Deppert W, Kliemt H, Lohff B, Schaefer J, eds. Wissenschaftstheorien in der Medizine. Ein Symposium. Walter de Gruyter Verlag, Berlin, 1992, 355-69
5. Schaefer J, Lie RK. Zwei Beispielhafte Illustrationen zum Reduktionismusproblem in der Medizin. In: Deppert W, Kliemt H, Lohff B, Schaefer J, eds. Wissenschaftstheorien in der Medizin. Ein Symposium. Walter de Gruyter Verlag, Berlin, 1992, 403-419
6. Schaefer J, Deppert W, Lie RK, Lohff B, Noble MIM. Historical note on the translation of H.P. Bowditch's paper 'Ueber die Eigenthümlichkeiten der Reizbarkeit, welche die Muskelfasern des Herzens zeigen". In: Noble MIM, Seed WA, eds. The Interval Force Relationship of the Heart. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1992, 31-9
7. Schaefer J, Deppert W, Lie RK, Lohff B, Noble MIM. Translation of H.P. Bowditchs paper: 'Ueber die Eigenthümlichkeiten der Reizbarkeit, welche die Muskelfasern des Herzens zeigen". In: Noble MIM, Seed WA, eds. The Interval Force Relationship of the Heart. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1992, 3-30.
8. Lie R. Ludwik Fleck and Philosophy of Medicine. In. Science, Technology and the Art of Medicine: European- American Dialogues, ed. Corinna Delkeskamp & Mary Ann Gardell Cutter, 1993
9. Lie RK. Forskningens innhold. Det medisinske fakultets historie. I. Universitetet i Bergens historie, bind II. Universitetet i Bergen, Bergen 1996, pp. 318-389;760-778
10. Lie RK. Living organ donation in Norway - consensus or medical paternalism? Forthcoming, Book edited by Robert J. Levine, George Andreopoulos, University of Pennsylvania Press
11. Lie RK. Randomized clinical trials: A conflict between sound methodology and responsible ethics? Forthcoming, book edited by Eileen Magnello, Wellcome Institute, London
12. Lie RK . Genetiske tester og kunnskap om risiko om sykdom. I: Egil Ruud og Britta Nilsson, red. Hver for seg små - sammen store. Frambu-Senter for sjeldne funksjonshemninger, Oslo, 1997, ss. 39-43.
13. Lie RK. Ethical dilemmas and resource allocation. Two questionnaire studies. WHO-SEARO, New Delhi 1999
14. Lie RK. Ethical issues in clinical trial collaborations with developing countries - with special reference to preventive HIV vaccine trials with secondary endpoints. UNAIDS Working Paper, 1997
15. Lie RK. Etterord til oversettelsen av Steven Shapin's The scientific revolution. 1999
C. Survey articles and reviews (selected)
1. Lie RK. Bruk av beslutningsteori i medisinsk virksomhet, I Gilje N, Lie R, Skirbekk G, eds. Kompendium i medisinsk etikk og vitenskapsteori. Universitetsforlaget, Oslo, 1982.
2. Lie RK. Annotert bibliografi i medisinsk etikk. I Gilje N, Lie R, Skirbekk G, eds. Kompendium i medisinsk etikk og vitenskapsteori. Universitetsforlaget, Oslo, 1982.
3.Lie R K. The Philosopher as Physician: Testing clinical hypotheses. In Elliot Cohen, ed. Philosophers at Work. An Introduction to the Issues and Practical Uses of Philosophy, Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, New York, 1989, pp. 203-211.
4. Tranøy KE, Lie R, Solbakk JH. Medisinsk etikk. Tidsskrift for den norske lægeforening 1990; 110: 2179 - 2180.
5. Hansson LF, Ruyter K, Lie RK. Prioriteringer i helsevesenet i Oregon. Hva kan vi lære. Tidsskr nor lægeforen 1991;11:3416-9
6. Lie RK. HIV-infeksjon og taushetsplikten. Korrespondanse. Tidskr Nor Lægeforen 1992;12:112-113
7. Lie RK: Sykdomsbegrepet og årsaksbegrepet. In T. Bjerkedal, ed. Forebyggende medisin, Universitetsforlaget, Oslo 1992, 18-25
8. Lie RK, Paulsen JE. Bioethics in Scandinavia, 1989 - 1991. In Lustig BA, Brody BA, Engelhardt HT, McCullough LB. Regional Developments in Bioethics, 1989-1991. Kluwer Academic Publishing Group, Dordrecth 1992, 279-308
9. Hermeren G, Holm S, Lie RK. Bioethics in Scandinavia, 1991 - 1993. In Lustig BA, Brody BA, Engelhardt HT, McCullough LB. Regional Developments in Bioethics, 1991-1993. Kluwer Academic Publishing Group, Dordrecht 1994, 301-326.
10. Lie RK. En del grunnleggende etiske spørsmål i moderne nyfødtmedisin, Statens helsetilsyn, 1994
11. Lie RK. Annotated bibliography on health policy and equity. ETHICA Working Papers, 1997
12. Lie RK. Report of a workshop on Community Advisory Boards - Bergen, April 1997. ETHICA working papers, 1997
1. A. Fagot, Medecine et probabilites. Theoretical Medicine 1987; 8: 247-248.
2. L. Berger, Psychoanalytic theory and clinical relevance. What makes a theory consequential for practice? Theoretical Medicine 1987; 8: 248-250.
3. E. Shelp, ed. Virtue and Medicine. Explorations in the character of medicine. Theoretical Medicine 1987; 8: 379-382
4. D. VanDeVeer, Paternalistic Intervention. The Moral Bounds of Benevolence. Theoretical Medicine 1988; 9: 373-376.
5. G. Agich and C. Begley, eds. The Price of Health. Theoretical Medicine 1988; 9: 376-378.
6. R. C. McMillan, H. T. Engelhardt, S. F. Spicker (eds). Euthanasia and the newborn. Theoretical Medicine 1989; 10: 269-270
7. Daniel A. Albert, Ronald Munson, Michael D. Resnik. Reasoning in Medicine. An Introduction to Clinical Inference. Theoretical Medicine 1989; 10: 272-273
8. Johnson AG. Pathways in medical ethics. Tidsskrift for den norske lægeforening 1991:11:805-807.
9. Malmgren H. Medicinsk etikk. En sosialfilosofisk analys. Tidsskr nor lægeforen 1991;111:1457.
10. Fulford KWM. Moral theory and medical practice. ESPMHC Newsletter May, 1991, 58-60.
11. I. Löwy. The Polish School of Philosophy of Medicine. Social Science and Medicine 1992; 34-335-336
1. J. Schaefer, R. K. Lie, W. Deppert, D. Burkhoff. Historical review: some reflections on Bowditch's original work, a philosophy of science point of view, and implications for present research on force interval relations (abstract). Cardiovascular Research 1988; 22: 585
2. J. Schaefer, R. K. Lie, K. Sagawa. Paradigm shifts in cardiology: A re-examination of Otto Frank's contributions to cardiac mechanics (abstract). Proceedings of the 9th International Conference of the Cardiovascular System Dynamics Society, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 1988, pp. 93-94.
3. H. Jodalen, R. Lie, T. Saetersdal. Morphometric analysis of the mouse myocardium after dexamenthasone treatment (abstract). J Mol Cell Cardiol 1988; 20 (suppl. 5): 84
4. Lie RK, Husdal AN, Martens M. Attitudes of Norwegian primary care physicians towards ethical issues raised by AIDS, poster presentation, VIII International Conference on AIDS, Amsterdam 1992
5. Wienold M, Lie RK, Grimshaw J. Community participation in research and treatment issues - the European AIDS treatment group. VIII International Conference on AIDS, Amsterdam 1992
6. Fonseca OQ, Lie RK, Parvizi J. Ethical issues in preventive AIDS vaccine development Brazil. Poster presentation 9th International Conference on AIDS, Berlin 1993
1. Reidar K. Lie and Loretta M. Kopelman. A Conversation about Wittgenstein with K. E. Tranoy. Videotape, Center for Medical Communcations, East Carolina University School of Medicine, 1988.
G. Books and special issues of journals edited
1. Gilje N, Lie R, Skirbekk G. Kompendium i medisinsk etikk og vitenskapsteori. Universitetsforlaget, Oslo 1982
2. Greve G., Lie RK, Rotevatn S, eds. The heart under normal and pathological conditions: Comparative and experimental studies. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, S 599, 1991.
3. Lie RK. Etikk og moderne nyfødtmedisin, Statens helsetilsyn, 1994.
4. Lie RK, Halvorsen RS, Brantsæter MC. Homoseksualiteter på norsk. Rapport fra en forskningskonferanse. Bergen, 1996
5. Kasturiaratchi, N. Lie, Reidar K., Seeberg J. Health Ethics in six SEAR countries. WHO-SEARO, New Delhi, 1999
"Philosophy and Medicine." 2nd Inter-Nordic Philosophy Symposium. Bergen, Norway, 1982.
"Theory development in biomedicine". Forum for Philosophy of Science, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway, November, 1982.
"Ethical Issues in Clinical Psychiatric Research". Department of Psychiatry, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway, 1983.
"Choice of Therapy Based on Clinical Trials - Some Problems". Department of Surgery, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway, 1983.
"Theory development in cardiology". Forum for Philosophy of Science. University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway, October 1985.
"Empirical evidence and confirmation of theories - an analysis of the 'border zone controversy'. International Institute for Theoretical Cardiology, Bad Orb, Federal Republic of Germany, June 20-21, 1986.
"The angina pectoris controversy during the 1920s - why was the coronary theory accepted? The annual meeting of the American Association of the History of Medicine, Philadelphia, May 1987
"Epistemology and the heart beat - some foundational problems in electrocardiology". The second annual symposium of the International Institute for Theoretical Cardiology, Stanford, CA, November 21, 1987
"Theory change in cardiovascular research". Department of Philosophy, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, October 30, 1987
"Dworkin on external preferences" The annual meeting of the Eastern Division of the American Philosophical Association, New York, December 27-30, 1987
Presentations on medical ethics, philosophy of science, and history of cardiology. Universities of Oslo and Bergen, Norway, March 1988.
"Bowditch revisited - historical review" (with Jochen Schaefer). British Society for Cardiovascular Research, Guildford Postgraduate Medical Centre, New Royal Surrey Hosptial, England, April 27, 1988.
"An examination of the dominant theoretical presuppositions of Norwegian Philosophy of Science. 78th Annual Meeting of the Society for the Advancement of Scandinavian Study, Eugene, Oregon, April 29, 1988.
"Paradigm shifts in cardiology: A re-examination of Otto Frank's contribution to cardiac mechanics" (with Jochen Schaefer). 9th International Conference of the Cardiovascular System Dynamics Society, Halifax, Nova Scotia, November 8-10, 1988.
"The rise of the new cardioloyg in Britain in the 1920s - Inadequacies in the social constructivists' account" 8th Inter-Nordic Philosophical Symposium, Oslo May 18-20, 1989
"Das Fortschrittproblem in der Medizin" IV Annual Symposium of the International Institute for Theoretical Cardiology, Bad Orb, FRG, September 22-23, 1989
"Medical Ethics in Norway", Department of Medical Humanities, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, February 9, 1990
"Ethics and Resource Allocation" 20th Congress of the International Society of Internal Medicine, Stockholm, June 18, 1990
"Quality of Life. Some philosophical reflections". WHO conference, Tromsø, Norway, May 31, 1991
"Ethical problems in xenotransplantation". Espace Europeen des Sciences et des Arts, Strassbourg, June 29 - July 2, 1992
"Methodological and conceptual issues in health care system comparisons: Canada, Norway, and the United States". VIth Conference of the ESPMH, Budapest, August 1992
"Attitudes of Norwegian primary care physicians towards ethical issues raised by AIDS" VIII International Conference on AIDS, Amsterdam, July 1992
"Clinical trial methodology: A challenge for the emerging discipline of philosophy of medicine". Center for Clinical Medical Ethics, University of Chicago, September 14, 1992
Lectures on Medical Ethics, various Universities in Sri Lanka, 1992 - 1995
"Ethical issues in living organ donation". Conference on organ transplantation. Yale University, April 1993
"Ethical issues in preventive AIDS vaccine development". University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brasil, December 1993
"Ethical issues in preventive AIDS vaccine development". Annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, San Francisco, February 20, 1994 (Co-organizer of special session at this meeting).
"Ethical issues in human subjects research". Conference on "Ethical considerations for publishing clinical research in international journals" Moskva, Russia, April 7 - 8, 1994 (Co- organizer of the conference).
"Challenges in Cross-cultural medical ethics". Keynote address of the Bioethics "Mega-meeting", Pittsburgh, October 1994.
"Randomised Clinical Trials: A conflict between sound methodology and responisible ethics". Presented at a Wellcome Symposium on "Medicine and Mathematics" in London, March, 1996
"What to do when a clinical trial is controversial?" Presented at the III. World Congress of Bioethics, San Francisco, November 1996
"The World Bank's Investing in Health" Presented at the III. World Congress of Bioethics, San Francisco, November 1996
"Ethical issues in the physician patient relationship". Keynote address at the annual meeting of the European Ethics Network, Leuven, Belgium, September 1997
"Issues in cross-cultural bioethics" Presented at the Annual meeting of the American Antrophological Association, Washington DC, November 1997
"Consensus conferences as political instruments". Biannual Conference of the Philosophy of Science Association, Kansas City, USA, 1998
"Human Rights, equity and health sector reform", Harvard University, November 1998
"Ethical issues in international research", EU workshop on training trialists, Annecy, France, March 1999
"Intellectual property rights and research ethics", African Malaria Treatment and Vaccine Network, Arusha, Tanzania, November 1999
Editorial Advisory Board Member
Journal of Medicine and Philosophy
Chair, Council of the 'Examen philosophicum", University of Oslo, 1993-1995
Member of a Commission of the Ministry of Health on Psychiatry and Lobotomy in Norway, 1991-1992
Member of a Commmission appointed by the Social Security Court on definition of disease for the purpose of sickness certification. 1994
Organized a number of international conferences in Norway, Germany, and the US