The Middle East in a Globalized World
Papers from the Fourth Nordic
Conference on Middle Eastern Studies, Oslo 1998
Edited by Bjørn Olav Utvik and Knut S. Vikør
- Introduction (vii)
- Hassan Hanafi: The Middle East, in Whose World? (Primary reflections) (1)
- Pinar Bilgin: Inventing Middle Easts? The Making of Regions through Security
- Rania Maktabi: Tune in Religion, Turn on Pluralism, Drop out Citizenship?
Membership and Political Participation in Jordan, Kuwait and Lebanon (38)
- Ahmed M. Jiyad: The Human Development Paradigm in a Globalization Environment:
The Arab Gulf (68)
- Jonas Otterbeck: The Middle East as a Problem in the Formulation of Islam for
Muslim Activists in Sweden (117)
- Amr Hamzawy: Processes of Local Deconstruction of Global Events, News, And
Discursive Messages: Case Studies from Egypt (130)
- Susanne Dahlgren: Traditions and Modernities in Aden: On Studying Urban Middle
Eastern Societies (150)
- Lene Kofoed Rasmussen: Muslim Woman and Intellectual in Twentieth-Century
Egyptian Public Debate (183)
- Tetz Rooke: The Influence of adab on the Muslim Intellectuals of the
Nahda as Reflected in the Memoirs of Muhammad Kurd 'Ali (1876-1953) (193)
- Knut S. Vikør: The Shari'a and the Nation State: Who can Codify the
Divine Law? (220)
- Mark Sedgwick: Marginal Muslims in Cyberspace: Traditionalists, New Communities
and the Blurring of Distinctions (251)
Read an introduction to this volume
This book is distributed outside Scandinavia by
C. Hurst & Co (Publishers) Ltd.,
38 King Street, London WC2E 8JT,
Phone +44-171-240 2666; fax +44-171-240-2667,
Publication date: Already published (2000)
xi, 269 pp.; £ 18. ISBN 185065-579-0.
To order directly from the publisher, fax this form to fax number +47-5558 9891
Please send me one copy of The Middle East Viewed from the North.
Send to: (Name and address):
Please charge the price (£ 20 + postage) to my VISA card, number
Direct orders can currently only be done through VISA cards. Surface mail added; indicate if airmail desired.
Click here for a general order form for Centre publications.